Oh, Toronto. I love that you love trains as much as I do. Some random thoughts on trains, so I can get the Nick Buzz song out of my head (unlikely) and get back to work.
- This is the first city I have lived in where people say “I have to catch my train” and they are talking about a subway line.
- I live next to a train bridge, and the sound of the 11:30pm train makes me insanely happy, even if it shakes the walls and makes it sound like a mouse is in my room.
- I have a collection of train conductor hats.
- My friend Jay once told me he hates train conductor hats.
- One of my newest favouritest* Toronto photographers takes pictures of
trainer, subway stations…and they are amazingly great:
- The first time I took the train, I had just had my wisdom teeth removed and looked like a chipmunk in the student discount card photo they took of me at the Viarail station in Ottawa, ON.
- I have been compiling a mix with songs about trains since 2004. So far, Magnetic Fields, Nick Cave, The Rheostatics, and Tom Waits are holding fort. Estimated completion date: 2014.
- Torontonians love their transit. Over 120 000 subway buttons sold since I started my train mix. Amazing.
- In case you haven’t noticed from my stuff maker header… I also like taking photos on trains.
- Streetcars are also kind of nice.
* It’s totally a word.
Title credit: Nick Buzz, Sane, so sane. Photo and video below.