This was a big year of transition for a lot of people in my life, (including myself, but hell, every year seems to be a big transition year for this one). Friends and loved ones were lost, babies were born, houses were bought, houses were sold, cross-country moves happened, jobs changed, new projects started, old projects completed, often in stressful overlap. 2012 was a hell of a year. And I mean that in both the rib-elbowing way as well as the Sartre way.
Rather than throw on the vimeo link to Mountain Goats – This Year, I decided to compile some of the songs that got the most play on my headphones or speakers this year. Lots of sad bastard songs, cause that’s what I do best, but lots of threads of hope in there too. Peaks and valleys, hots and colds, sweets and sours.
If I had to pick one new artist that I couldn’t do without, it would be Cold Specks.
If I had to pick one song to play at very loud volume, it would be “Stay Useless” by Cloud Nothings.
If I had to pick my favourite live concert this year it would be…a tough call. I saw all the bands with stars next to their name. I know. I’m effin’ lucky.
If I had to pick the lyrics that are getting the most play in my head right now, it would be Lee Fields’s “I don’t know where I’m going but I know where I’m coming from.”
As 2012 comes to a close
- I Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Is In – Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
- I Don’t Know Where I’m Going – Lee Fields and The Explorers
- Time And Place – Lee Moses
- I Am Trying to Break Your Heart – JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound*
- Leave Me Alone (New Order Cover) – Destroyer
- Walls – Stars
- Shoot The Water – Austra
- To The East – Electrelane
- Tell Me Soemthing I Don’t Know – Herman Düne*
- Wish We Were Here – Smoking Popes*
- Didn’t You – Cloud Nothings
- Another Bed – The Twilight Sad**
- Blank Maps – Cold Specks
- Lord Knows Best – Dirty Beaches*
- I Found You – Alabama Shakes
- Baby’s Arms – Kurt Vile
- Ain’t Gonna Last – Good Conduct*
- Gonna Get Me Someone – The Greenhornes
- Stay Useless – Cloud Nothings
- All Things Must Pass – Jesus And Mary Chain
- Close your eyes – Micah P Hinson and the gospel progress
- I’ll Love You Forever – The Squires / Neil Young*
- Bad Girl (Part 1) – Lee Moses
- Winter Solstice – Cold Specks
- Home Again – Michael Kiwanuka*
Download the mix here: http://bit.ly/DLmix2012 (head’s up, it’s 100 MB)
Stream it on grooveshark here: http://bit.ly/mixforthisyear
I own all of these songs, and so should you. Send money to the artists you listen to, or go to their goddamn shows.
Title credit: Cold Specks, Blank Map